Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Lilac Time

We have been having the most glorious of springs. Bright, warm, sunny weather is such a welcome change from the damp and dreary springs of the last few years. It has been a blessing in so many ways.

I got some seeds planted before we left for Missouri so already we are near to a lettuce harvest.


My cilantro is about to reach for the sky! It's really a shame that I can't have an abundance of cilantro at the same time that I have an abundance of tomatoes. I've taken to freezing the herb in little cubes to throw into my September pots of salsa.


After several poor strawberry harvests, this year is looking like it will be a good one. The plants are tall and robust and loaded with flowers already! It's the first week of May and my red peonies are ready to burst open too. Red peonies are my favorite. I may sneak some into my luggage when I fly to the Midwest in a few days. I really don't want to miss their beautiful blooms.



Yes, I am leaving soon and will be gone for long enough that I am worrying about how to get the garden started in the meantime. When May is rainy and cold (last year I was lighting fires in the woodstove even in June!) we hesitate to plant seed that will only rot in the ground. We don't like to replant. But with all the reassuring sunshine, this year we are planting the earliest ever.




The sunshine has also brought the lilac flowers a full week or more ahead of previous years. I always count on lilacs for Mother's Day. Lilacs are my favorite. I would have been very sad to miss them. This red purple variety is the tallest and most profusely adorned that it has ever been since I planted a wee sprout there about fifteen years ago.



The color is so vibrant!


I also have this sweet double blossom with dainty white centers.


This variety, acquired from a friend, is a pale blue color.


Nothing is cheerier than a bouquet of lilacs.
Happy Spring!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! oh.....wow! I didn't know lilacs came in so many shades! Is the fragrance a bit different for each? I'll bet your house smells heavenly (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Linda! This is only the tip of the iceberg! I have good intentions of adding to my "collection." Yes, there are variations in the scents too. Some are more heavenly than others.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.