Thursday, February 14, 2013

To my Valentine...

I take hundreds, maybe thousands, of photos every year on a couple different cameras. I have dozens of photos albums and countless digital files of pictures. I started taking photos when I was about ten on my mom's old Brownie camera. I'd ride my bike into town to drop the film at the photo shop for developing. Two weeks later I'd ride back in anxious anticipation to see my photos, usually to be greatly disappointed at the fuzzy, off-centered results.

I continued to take lots of photos all through my young years but I appear in very few. Well... because I was behind the camera. So today when I went to look for a photo of my valentine and I in our youth, I was very hard pressed to find anything. I guess I'll have to go through my relative's photos. It seems that no one took my camera in hand and took photos of us.

I did find this one and I remember the occasion. Too bad I wasn't looking at the camera, huh? We were newlyweds in 1981 (or '82?) and my husband was singing the solo at another wedding. He sang "The Lord's Prayer" at several weddings that first year and I know I accompanied him on the organ at most of them so I may have at this wedding too. I remember I made that green dress for my Christmas dress the previous holiday. We didn't really know very many people at the event so maybe that's why I look so uncomfortable?

Happy Valentine's Day, my dear! Didn't we look great way back when?

6 comments:

  1. Your daughter looks just like you! I thought it was she when I saw the picture. My mom has been gone for six years and sometimes I pass a mirror and for a minute I think it is my mom. This makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you. You are the first person that I recall ever saying that. My oldest daughter is the splitting image of her grandmother when she was her age (we've seen photos of grandma in her youth and Katie looks so much like them) and my youngest daughter looks surprisingly like my sister (I think). Not many people think any of my kids look like me so it's nice to hear once in awhile!

      Delete
  2. You two look great. Sadly, I have the same problem with very few pictures of myself. That's the price we pay when we're behind the camera all the time. That should be a goal this year, to get in as many pictures as possible with husband, children and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Sad isn't it. With so many photogs now that my children have their own cameras, there are lots of photos of me now in my middle age but few of me with the slim body and great hair of my youth.

      Delete
  3. You made that dress? It's so pretty! (What I can see of it, anyway) And you definitely have that pre-baby waist and posture... :-D

    Also, Dad looks like Kristin! Shave off all that hair, take away the glasses and it would be Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I made all my clothes. I think the dress looks good (now) but looking at it I remember my feelings of self-criticism. I thought it had lots of problems and flaws. (Ha! Surprised?) Andria said the same thing about Kris' resemblance and I definitely see it in this photo since there dad is Kristin's present age. Dad says he doesn't see it (no surprise).

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.