Monday, August 20, 2012

Not More Wedding Cakes...

Are you getting tired of seeing wedding cakes and hearing about weddings yet? If you are you may want to step away from my blog until about October. Maybe something unrelated to weddings will start happening then.

There are other things going on- like my beloved oven suddenly and inexplicably malfunctioning and ruining a wedding cheesecake. At first I thought it was me malfunctioning from exhaustion while baking just one more thing before bedtime. But when the early morning cheesecake also got over-baked, I figured out it was my oven and did a little Stationary Panic (anyone ever read Patrick McManus?) wondering how I was going to bake thirty-four cakes, two more cheesecakes, a dozen cupcakes, five slab pies and one hundred tartlette crusts for the five weddings next weekend.

Long story short is that the oven is working today. Suddenly and inexplicably. Either because my husband cut the power and rebooted the oven's computer, or because of all the prayer, or more likely- both! I don't care how, just Thank You, God!

Then there is the garden, all green and lush from the August heat. Lush with weeds and green with tomatoes. I plan to show some photos of the tomato crop if I can get out there to take some. If the weather holds out I might actually have a harvest. The very first ripe tomato was found by our one free range chicken. That is her annual August mission- to peck holes in my first tomato. But the second and third ripe tomatoes we ate on our salad tonight-- and they were gooooood!

There is lots and lots of salad in my forecast as my husband and I have just begun a 21 day cleanse. It's not nice when on the first day of a cleanse I have to bake banana cupcakes. Banana cake is my most favoritist cake in the world. I may or may not have eaten a couple crumbs.

If you can stand to see a couple more wedding cakes, here are two from the last batch-

Berry cakes are my most requested design and this is another version. I'm getting better at them and I like this one a lot. So did the bride. It was very sweet when she told me that after she decided she wanted a berry cake, she changed her color theme to match the cake!


She had been planning on yellow and orange and instead changed the bouquets to berry colors.



Here was an unique idea at that wedding reception-


The leaves on the tree are the thumbprints of the guests, each signed with their name. What a nice remembrance.



I also made another version of the "rustic" cake with simple herbs for decoration.


I promise I'll blog about something else next time...

14 comments:

  1. Panic attack! I would not have handled that very well. I'm glad it was remedied. How in the world can you bake and not taste everything all the time? I'd have to duct tape my mouth. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the beginning of the cleanse it is hard to have willpower, later it is easier. I always do a cleanse in late summer when there is lots of fresh produce to eat but unfortunately I'm also doing wedding cakes. Since I make frosting without measuring I usually taste to make sure the balance of sweetness is right but hopefully now I'm adept enough that I won't have to.

      Delete
  2. Noooooooo.....dont' stop the pics of wedding cakes!!! I love to see them and am always amazed how you come up with something a little different each time.
    Glad the oven was a fairly easy fix. I hate when something like that happens. My old dryer finally died last week. We gave it a proper send off and went and bought a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dryer has been burning scorch marks on my clothes and I really need a new washer and dryer. I think that's where the wedding cake money will be going soon.

      Delete
  3. It is me again. I forgot to ask if you had ever posted your banana cake recipe. I haven't found it I don't think. My grandmother made the best banana cake and of course I don't have her recipe. I have tried to replicate it many times with no luck. I hope you will think about posting it sometime. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I haven't posted it. That's a good idea and I will. No one else has ordered banana though so I can't photograph the process any time soon. Didn't you ask me once about another cake recipe too? I need to make a note to remember.

      Delete
  4. Oh brace yourself when you go look at washer and dryers. Do you know that they have just dryers out there for over $1000.00? That just blew me away. Needless to say I didn't get that one. For goodness sakes all I want to do is dry my clothes. I don't need all that chrome and bells and whistles. (okay off my soap box now) Very sad that you have to use the wedding cake money for washer and dryers but that is the way it goes isn't it?

    Yes a while back I asked you about your yellow cake recipe to which you replied it wasn't really yellow at all. Anyway I know you are up to your elbows in weddings so whenever you get time I would really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shopped around last year for washer and dryer and chickened out. My old ones have held out one more year but the dryer is still burning my clothes (GGRRRR...)so it's gotta be soon.

      I'll make a note of the yellow cake too.

      Delete
  5. Do you keep an album of every wedding cake you have made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the early days I didn't have a digital camera or website so I had a photo album at a couple wedding venues. Now my albums are this blog and my Fleur Cakes Facebook page! :-) Also, I have a gallery on my website which needs some updating.

      Delete
  6. Sorry but I am back again. I was thinking about your berry cakes while driving to the grocery store this afternoon. How do you keep the berries from weeping onto the white frosting or is that not a problem. I have used strawberries and blueberries with success but sometimes red and black raspberries are a problem especially if I put them on the cake to early. Inquiring minds don't ya know! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason the berries bleed is because of the sugar in the frosting that begins the enzyme action. My frosting is my own special recipe (don't ask me to share it on the blog because it is the one thing I am guarding. It's my signature icing and sets my cakes apart...maybe a cookbook someday??) and it's made with whipped cream and cream cheese. Because it is low in sugar, the berries never weep and I can keep that fresh look on the cakes.

      Delete
  7. No problem but I think the cookbook idea is a great one. You have some things to say and you would say them well. I have learned more little things like this from you and your blog than I have from some of the blogs I follow that have twice the "stuff" on them. And I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yes, keep the pictures coming! They are so much fun to see. And I'm so glad you got your oven back in working order---I can't imagine!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.