Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Grilled Pizza

It's summer (finally!) so Sunday pizza gets made on the grill.






Have you ever made grilled pizza? It is so, so easy and so very delicious!
Mix up your favorite pizza dough recipe and let it rise for an hour or two. If you don't have a favorite recipe, use mine, which is Mario Batali's recipe. Roll out a piece of dough and carry it out to the grill, on your arm as I did above or put it onto a baking sheet. Don't worry if the shape gets distorted. Who says pizza has to be perfectly round, or square, or symmetrical. Flop it onto a very hot grill- no oiling or greasing of the grill is necessary. In about two minutes the dough is bubbly and ready to....



....flip!

The dough will not stick to the grill. After flipping the dough over let it "bake" the other side for a minute or two, just until nice grill marks form.





Now it's time to top the finished pizza crust with your favorite sauce, cheeses, meats and veggies. Alyssa likes her artichokes.

The pizza can then be heated on the grill for a few minutes to melt the cheese or it can be heated in the oven.

This is actually a speedy way to turn out pizzas because the baking time is much shorter than conventional pizza oven baking while the results are still crispy hot gooey goodness.

9 comments:

  1. Ah-ha... so you take the crust off and do the toppings on a sheet... See, I was trying to put the toppings on while it was still on the grill and that was a very hot and slightly stressful process. Hmmmm... will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. No.
    I can see how that would be *stressful*.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to do it like this: http://www.beepily.com/2010/09/bbq-pizza/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a chris, I repeat- oh my. Practice does make perfect!

    1. Bbq pizza crust is easy to burn if the cook is expecting it to take ten minutes. Two minutes. That's it! Stand by.

    2. Crust first, toppings after, again, just to melt and it doesn't take long. Residual heat if using coals. I liked using the oven for this part the other day so we could keep the process moving with the crusts on the grill. Suddenly we were done making pizza. Very quick.

    3. It is so worth it to mix up your own dough. Flour, salt, yeast and water and it only takes five minutes. Costs three times more to buy the preservative laden, flavorless crust from the store. I know I'm a snob. But at least I'm trying to spread the snobbery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have also noticed that I prefer to use precooked things like sauteed veggies as toppings to avoid them being raw. That way, the cheese only needs to melt once topped.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks awesome! Going to have to try this for my next cookout or tailgating pizza party .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heeheehee. Our oven was broken and we were feeling reckless. It was a frozen pizza base, too. What can I say?

    I suppose we could have microwaved it first. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a dish, pizza is awesome.My brother loves it very much. in other words he is mad for it.i will surely prepare i for him.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.