Sunday, June 19, 2011

Garden Tour!

Saturday was the annual garden tour in our valley. I haven't been able to go for the last several years so I was determined to make it out this time despite the fact that I had two weddings to deliver desserts to that afternoon. I stayed up late the night before to prepare the wedding cake so that I could spend the next morning strolling through immaculately primped gardens.


It was worth the extra effort.

I am always so inspired by the gardens I visit on garden tours. There are so many styles of gardening, there are always ideas to glean and apply in my own.



I love the use of colors and textures in these rock gardens.




Such a perfect color combination!
The plants are so lush and happy.


The gardens that appeal to me especially are the ones with whimsy and surprise in the details. A garden should be more than plants and shrubs and trees. The little extras and creative imaginings make them fun.

I love the stick fence around the herb garden, the fire hydrant and the old bicycle.



Hhmmm.....I could do this.





Creative!





A fountain repurposed with plantings of succulents- I could definitely do this with all the bird bath parts I have around here.




Boy do I love this combination of Lewisia and Thyme!




Now there's a whimsical scarecrow!




This chicken coop knocks my socks off. I love the crooked windows, the water pump, the screen door entrance to the chicken yard and the chicken little picket fence.




I've planted stacked pots like this before myself, but I have to say, I like the crookedness here!



But this takes the cake for garden whimsy and creative use of redneck hardware.




We've got several rusty old pick-up trucks on our green acres...
.....but none as cute as this one.

3 comments:

  1. POWERWAGON! Still carrying the load and causing the girls to look. - Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH!! I so wish I could have gone with you!!

    It makes me want to go forth and beautify! Spraying on liberal mosquito spray and heading out now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Bill! You made me laugh first thing in the a.m.

    Katie- apparently garden tours have the power to inspire even when you don't actually go on them only virtually.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.