Thursday, April 21, 2011

Morels

Look what our friendly neighbors gave us...


....This is only about one fifth of what the hunter picked.



A cold, wet Oregon spring is good for something.


And this is what I made with them.
In a delicious white wine sauce over pork chops for supper. 
These were the most tender, tasty mushrooms I have ever cooked or eaten.
It definitely pays to have them fresh from the forest floor.

5 comments:

  1. Have always wanted to try morels. That dish looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rae, I only had them for the first time a couple years ago. I'm not a mushroom eater usually, but I really enjoyed these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are false morels and should not be ingested! Real morels do not have a distinct cap but rather a cap fused to the stem. There are several websites with great pictures that show the difference.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Bonnie, for your concerned comment. I have been examining photos of mushrooms since I read your warning. I am not finding photos of what these mushrooms were like so I am still not sure. There are photos of false morels that they were definitely not like but I still want to check some more. I'm getting the impression that there are many varieties of morels and I want to find the exact type these are. I will continue to research. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After talking to some expert Oregon mushroom hunters, what I am told is that because these are early spring mushrooms they have the separate caps. The later morels have caps that are connected to the stems. Apparently they can have the name "false" morel while the later ones are "true" morels, but all are edible and not poisonous. We ate them and numerous other people ate from the 25 lbs. that were picked and no one got sick. That said though, some people could get sick from them from an intolerance or allergy similar to what people could have to seafood or other things.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for your concern. I learned things today!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.