Tuesday, March 15, 2011

We love her like a red-haired stepsister.

So there's this television show that I have only seen on internet postings of clips passed around on Facebook or reblogged.  It is a show that spoofs and parodies the City of Portland, Oregon, that place where I go to get lost in a maze of highways and bridges or to shop for bargains that are unavailable in my remote little mountain town, or to attend classical orchestra concerts and to buy organic, sustainably-farmed food for my family. Portland is a quirky place. The streets and highways were designed by someone on a bad drug trip; the scenery, with its rivers, hills and mountain sculpted horizons (including Mt. St. Helens) are charmingly photogenic; the culture is, shall we say, "liberal" and decadent; and the food, in markets and restaurants, is simply the best in the country.

This television show, I'm sure, must make non-Oregonians shake their heads in disbelief but for those of us who have been there, we laugh knowingly. We laugh a lot.







As further proof of the validity of that television parody, I offer this page from last Sunday's Oregonian, the living section, an article about a Portland shop that sells fashions -I mean Trashions- called Junk to Funk:
"Portland is an amazing little bubble of awareness. If I were to do this in the middle of Kansas, it wouldn't go anywhere. The rest of the world is not like Portland."

Understatement much?

That woman's hair adornment is made from wine corks and her outfit was made from wine labels.
You can't make this stuff up.

Next, Paris!



Renew, reuse, recycle.
Everything.




But one area where Portland continually redeems itself is its appreciation for well-made food.
I share that appreciation. And so do my kids.



Especially my oldest son who knows that a way to this mama's heart is through her stomach.

4 comments:

  1. "please don't make it like Seattle" and "all the hot girls wear glasses" - love it! Portland is ... unique. Portland people are. And I am thankful not to live in that city, although I have people who do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Portland has an international reputation for being a great cycling city. OK, not sure it's an international reputation but it's a reputation that I have managed to locate by searching for "cycling city north america" while hunting for places we might like to live in someday. If most of that cycling is courier-culture, though, I might have a hard time with it. Cambridge (UK) is very nearly free of that.

    Good food, though, is a strong draw.

    Bah, our jobs are pretty specific anyway. When we have to go, we'll go where one or both can get a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how each area has its own little quirks. Being able to make fun of them makes it even more lovable. Thanks for sharing a little inside view of the city. One day I hope to make it to your state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a chris- yes, Portland has a huge bicycle culture. That's why a whole show was devoted to that (see video above). Two of our big boys who currently live in Portland ride bikes everywhere, to work, etc. all winter.

    and Southern Gal- I really hope to make it to your state also. I need to see the historic potteries there among other things!

    and Jules- I agree completely!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.