Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Roasting meat the old world way

We went to a dinner party yesterday.

We ate great food again. Yes, we did. Aren't I tiresome?

I really need to go on a fast or a diet or something at this point. Gym membership. Something. And we haven't even hit the Christmas feasting Big Time yet.

Anyway...

This dinner had a special element to it in that I had a chance to use our host's very unique oven.


They had a Finnish Tulikivi oven which is the sole source of heat in their two story home. It is made of soap stone and weighs 8000 pounds. On one side of the oven is a traditional looking fireplace.



On the other side is a bake oven and some cubby holes for warming plates and such. The whole thing radiates gentle heat with very little wood consumed. It is quite ingenious and I love its old world style.


Earlier in the afternoon, our hostess built a fire inside the small bake oven. After it burned for less than an hour and heated the interior stones of the oven she pushed the remains of the fire's embers through a hole in the back that dropped them into the firebox of the fireplace.

When we arrived pies were baking in the oven of the Tulikivi just from the ambient heat of the stone which was around 400 degrees.




My job was to prepare the bone-in pork roast that I would cook in the Tulikivi. I did a simple preparation of salt and pepper, garlic and herbs followed by a drizzle of a balsamic vinegar reduction. I also poured apple cider over the roast which reduced and made a sauce during the cooking time.




In a very short time the meat was roasted brown on the outside.






While the meat continued to cook in the back of the oven the side dishes and appetizers were warmed.






Toward the end of the cooking time for the meat, I added pears and pearl onions to roast.
I really enjoyed trying out the oven and I am now starting to lust after the idea of having one. Too bad we are poor.

Maybe next time we can try....pizza!

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!!! And how fun to get to use that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of these before. It is beautiful and functional. I have heard of soapstone but I thought it was only used in kitchens for counter tops.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.