Sunday, November 15, 2009

One thing leads to another...

My kitchen was built from scratch when we remodeled this little shack of a house we bought in the mid-1990's. At the time my dad had a cabinet business so I had the privilege of having him, with assistance from Mr. Dirtywrench, build me custom oak cabinets. They are of the best quality and I've always loved their classic country farmhouse look.

So recently, after the new granite tile counter top was put on our kitchen island, the sorry condition of the cabinet doors really stood out like glaring neon.

Nice shiny new granite paired with this:


Wood finish that has taken a beating over the last dozen years from kids, spilled milk, slopped water etc. etc. Not pretty. Only the lower cabinets are in this condition. The upper cabinets show very little wear.


I found this product at an antiques store and decided to give it a try on my oak cabinet doors.

After scrubbing the wood clean I rubbed this into the wood with a cloth. It has some color to it but it is not technically a stain.

The next day I rubbed this orange oil and beeswax product into the wood. It smells really good.


And this is the result! Can you believe it! Wow. So much improved!


Incidentally, these glass knobs were in my husband's grandmother's kitchen. I found them on the old cabinet doors stacked in the rafters of the barn at the old homestead family farm. Father-in-law said "Have them!" and I gladly did. It took me awhile to get them all off the old doors while sitting up in the barn rafters surrounded by raccoon droppings. It was so worth it. I love them and their connection to the ancestors.

So now the counter top is updated, the cabinets are restored...


But the floor!
Oh, the floor...

9 comments:

  1. What a difference in the cabinets. They look new. Did you have to sand them at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all. Not even steel wool, just scrubbed them clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I'm uper impressed with the cabinets. But you're right- now what for the floor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Can't believe the difference on the cabinets! That's pretty amazing!

    Except for the very noticeable "traffic paths", you could just think of the floor as "distressed"... right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's all the distress is, traffic paths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just what I needed, my cupboards are a mess. They were hand made by a local man who has since passed away. After 20 years, mine look just like yours...well they look worse! I'm going to try to find your products and see what I can do. My worst part is the ones above the stove. Grease and dust are almost impossible to get off without taking off the finish as well. I've tried so many things, I hope this does it!
    Since we live on a farm with tons of dust from the driveway and fields, I've got this problem with everything in the house...not the grease, just the dust!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have tons of dust here too, Tracy. Farm country- orchards! It regularly shuts down the computer fans.
    I'm told that these products are most commonly sold in antique stores and that's where I found them. My neighbor uses the Feed 'n Wax when she cleans all her wood furniture instead of furniture polish sprays. I'm going to see if I can find a bigger bottle online.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had a troll!! Happens to the best of 'em.

    You can delete that, if you'd rather not advertise for "work at home India"...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey PAm I think Dad used that same wax for the finishes that didn't have any laquer on them...great minds think alike right?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.