Monday, November 16, 2009

He must have had some wicked garlic breath...

I've been successfully planting garlic for a couple years now. Successful until this year when I discovered in the spring that some kinda underground varmint had gorged all winter on the garlic I had planted. The two hundred or so cloves I had put in the ground last fall were gone and there were plenty of tunnels in the raised bed to let me know how they disappeared.

Needless to say, I was very hesitant to plant the garlic again this year thinking it would just end up being another buffet for the garden intruder who also, by the way, ate my lilies until I started wrapping them with chicken wire before planting.

Mr. Dirtywrench came to the rescue by digging back the soil in the bed and stapling in some woven wire to keep the varmint out.



The soil was so nice and fluffy afterwards.




Instead of spending $5 a pound for seed garlic at the garden center, I just bought a bag of culinary garlic at Costco.
Same thing. Better price.


But for the cost of that woven wire, I could have bought a whole lotta ready to eat garlic and skipped the planting and weeding and harvesting part.

But I like to do things the hard way.

2 comments:

  1. I planted 150 cloves back in October. Its already growing like crazy. This year I indulged and bought a sampler pack from Gourmet Garlic Gardens (http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/). I wanted to try something different from the unnamed stuff from the grocery store like I usually use. I have 5 different varieties and am kinda excited to play around with this. So far even the scapes look different. Different germination rates, different growing rates. One variety stores for only 6 months and one supposedly stores for up to a year.

    One of the things I find so fun about gardening is trying varieties I've never seen or heard of before. That and the fact that home grown veggies actually have taste!

    I thought garlic was a deterrent for most pests in the garden. Last spring, I was surprised when some bunny skipped over my lettuces and mowed down my scallions! I hope your wires work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bought the fancy varieties of garlic in the past too but I was completely put off by the price in the garden center this year and took the easy way out. Losing it all just reminded me not to invest to much of myself in it cuz then the failure hurts more.

    But I might change my mind tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.