Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Plum Galette

Saw it on Martha and said, "gotta have that...now"

Our plums are ripe so it was perfect timing. I made a spelt crust. Here's my crust recipe:

Mix together 2 1/2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Cut in 1 cup of cold butter (I did it by hand today since my food processor was in the dishwasher!). Add 1/4 cup cold water to make a dough.

I used the whole amount of dough for one thick galette crust. Otherwise this amount of dough will make two crusts for a ten inch pie.

Roll the crust out thickly on a large sheet of parchment paper to about sixteen inches in diameter. Sprinkle brown sugar over it leaving about three inches all around.

Lay sliced plums over the sugar. Fresh peaches, apricots, apple or pears would also be wonderful.



Fold the edges of the crust over the plums.





Brush the crust with cream or an egg wash, dot the fruit with butter and sprinkle the edges with sugar.






Bake on the parchment (I used a pizza pan underneath) at 425 degrees for 40-45 minutes until fruit is bubbly and crust is golden.






Easy as pie and just as delicious.

My breakfast...

4 comments:

  1. Please make me pie whenever I come home.

    Also, you should do a tutorial post on how to cut onions to avoid the cry inducing fumes. Dama wanted to know after cutting red onions last night and going temporarily blind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... makes me wish I had some plums around here...

    And I totally agree that pie (and it's equivalents) makes a great breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. This simple pastry is ridiculously good. It's sitting on my counter calling my name - loudly. I had a sliver. Then another, just a teeny bit bigger. I could eat the whole thing. Someone help me.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.