Monday, July 27, 2009

As fast as molasses in January...

That's how I'm moving today.


Art fair is over.

County fair is done.

No wedding cakes scheduled for two more weeks.

I have a week that I thought I could sit back and do a little catching up in the garden, pick blueberries, maybe some canning, take the kids to the pool and relax. Slow the pace down.

HA!

So this week it's going to really feel like summer and I'm going to get slower than I thought.

Our weather forecast:





Today
Sunny Sunny
Hi: 98°
Sunny. Highs 95 to 100. East wind 10 mph.

Tonight
Clear Clear
Lo: 70°
Clear. Lows around 70. Light wind.

Tuesday
Sunny Sunny
Hi: 100°
Sunny. Highs around 100. East wind 10 mph.

Tuesday Night
Clear Clear
Lo: 70°
Clear. Lows around 70. Light wind.

Wednesday
Sunny Sunny
Hi: 103°
Sunny. Highs 100 to 105. East wind 10 to 15 mph.

Wednesday Night
Clear Clear
Lo: 68°
Clear. Lows 65 to 70.

Thursday
Sunny Sunny
Hi: 98°
Sunny. Highs 95 to 100.

Thursday Night
Mostly Clear Mostly Clear
Lo: 58°
Mostly clear. Lows 55 to 60





We are not used to temperatures with three numbers. It scares us.

Actually, we are wimps. We don't have much humidity if any, ever, so we have it good. And look at those night-time temperatures. Getting into the 60's every night helps us to cool the house down before starting another hot day. Or we can sleep outside in the coolness.

But still. I may do some gardening in the mornings or evenings, but otherwise, we'll be staying inside. I'm trying to figure out what we'll be eating without heating the kitchen.

I know, so is the whole country.

So I could declutter and clean closets? Or I can sit around sipping iced coffee and reading. Yeah, that sounds good. No need to overexert. The closets will still be there in January, the official reorganization month.

I found some cool-looking blogs that I may now have time to read while my garden bakes.

I always love to read about Italy and reading blogs written by Americans living there is something I just discovered. I didn't know there were so many blogging expats. This one, Burnt by the Tuscan Sun, has a great post about tipping in Italy. Did you know that employees in European countries get 13 months of pay a year and five weeks paid vacation? I heard this factoid last night at the dinner table for the first time from our Swiss house guest. It was confirmed in this post about tipping in Italy. The bottom line is that the wait staff in Italy (and other countries) don't need my stinking tip. They are already well-paid, unlike American wait staff. I'll need to know this the next time I travel to Italy. Not sure when that will be but I have lots of research to do in the meantime.

Since my local small town library has had its funding cut and consequently its hours (to three hours a day, three days a week- very small town), I guess I'll be doing my hot weather reading on the internet. There are at least fifty links in the side bar of Burnt by the Tuscan Sun that I want to click on and read. And I'm sure those will lead to exponentially more.

Here I am standing at the edge of the Blogosphere rabbit hole, holding my iced mocha. What I need is a hammock and a laptop...

5 comments:

  1. You must be in an entirely different jet stream than Iowa this summer. We've had a cool summer. Today and tomorrow are in the high 80s and low 90s, but the rest of the week will be back in the 70s. It'll probably all but kill us when winter comes... So we'll get ours...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dd says the same about Michigan (being cool). I don't mind having "real" summer for a change-for once we may have a good tomato crop- but the three digits is just too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we're still cool here. Yesterday, it kinda tried to get hot, but now today it's cool again.

    Come on! It's JULY! In MICHIGAN!

    You send me ten or fifteen degrees and then we'll all be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, it's been hot and humid here in Eastern Washington as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I just realized that my buddy went to Michigan in the summer cause he usually goes in September and complains it is too cold. He's still going to be cool. HAHA bobby. Then again the temps I'm reading for up there sound really good to me. We've been hovering around 100 for two or three weeks now.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.