Thursday, June 18, 2009

Anniversary Weekend

Last weekend, my husband and I celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary on the Oregon Coast.

For something fun and different we stayed at the only sternwheeler bed and breakfast inn in the country. It was docked at the Newport Bay marina.




The Newport Belle was definitely a unique and enjoyable place to stay.





Our stateroom was on the bottom deck which I enjoyed because the water was right outside the window.



We also had a great view of the bay.






These charter fishing boats were docked right outside too. One of these fired up its engine at 6am to head out on a fishing cruise but other than that it was very peaceful to sleep on the ocean water.






After seeing those charter boats I understood why there was a fish cleaning station in the parking lot.







Sea bass



And skate!






The proprietor of the sternwheeler was kind enough to point us to the best restaurant in town for dinner.



At Local Ocean we indulged in an anniversary meal that Mr. D. and I agreed was one of the very best restaurant meals we've ever eaten.
This was the most delicious niciose salad ever. Look at the size of that chunk 'o tuna.



My eyes kept rolling to the back of my head as I savored this fresh salmon wrapped in puff pastry.
The zucchini had a savory seafood stuffing.
The portions were large and we were sighing with satisfaction after appetizers (including a luscious roasted garlic soup with fresh crab), salad, entree, dessert, wine and tea for a grand total of....




$64.00!








In the morning we were treated to another great meal in the salon of the sternwheeler.





It's a good thing we spent time hiking up and down the coastal cliffs at the beach or I would have waddled home looking a little more like those harbor seals we saw lazing on the rocks.

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! We celebrated 21 years this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations! I know I'm old, but I thought you were still a kid. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.