Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wild for flowers

Except for a brief reprieve Sunday, it's been raining buckets here since Friday night. Every night pouring rain and howling winds wake us. The tall Douglas Firs behind our house creak and moan and cause an acceleration in midnight prayers.

So when one morning this week I woke to strong wet breezes without the downpours, I decided to squeeze in a woodland walk before breakfast and school time.

My favorite trail is about a half mile from our house.


There were fresh elk tracks in the wet ground.







Large ones and small ones. A herd of cows and calves headed down the trail just hours before me.






In the woods the winds were calmer and I looked for wild flowers. There were none the last time I walked but my neighbor alerted me to watch for blooming trilliums.


The Oregon grape was blooming. It is the state flower.






Wild columbine.






And I found the trillium. They were already starting to fade.







A wild lily. Somebody tell me the name of this. I couldn't find it and I should know it.



I'm sorry this isn't in sharp focus. I couldn't tell on my camera that it was fuzzy.
What a sweet flower though!







I love this moss! So ferny.






Wild strawberry.



Now this is evidence that indeed this is the Pacific Northwest!




Anyone who knows me or who has read much of this blog knows that I am a flower freak. I always have been. Since I was a child.

The first time I came out west was in 1981 on our honeymoon in Glacier National Park. The western wild flowers made me frantic with excitement. I bought a wildflower guidebook and proceeded to play naturalist, taking notes and pressing blooms between pages.

My long-suffering new husband took this photo of me after he had to stop the van for the 429th time so I could jump out and examine the wildflowers growing beside the road.

I had never seen bear grass or Indian paintbrush. The new varieties of flowers were fascinating! When I found this photo, I also found a wild lupine bloom that I had pressed between tissue. It was like an object from outer space to me then. Now it grows in the flower bed in front of my house. Who'da thunk it?





Walking back home I pass my neighbor's garden gate. She is an amazing garderner.


Soon I'll take you on a virtual tour of her spring garden.


This is just outside the gate by the road. Wait 'til you see what's inside the gate!

2 comments:

  1. whew! Risque art of the day! Beautiful pictures you took tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they could take it in the 16th century, we should be able to take it today. At least it's not Sex and the City! It's all about context, right?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.