Sunday, May 24, 2009

Decoration Day

...is the name Grandma R. always used for Memorial Day.


Grandma and Grandpa always faithfully decorated the graves of their parents and grandparents on "Decoration Day".






In 1993, our last summer in Michigan, Grandma took us to the old pioneer cemetery where her (and our) ancestors were buried.







This was the same day that they auctioned the centennial family farm and prepared to move west with us.







Grandma took us to see the burial stones of her parents. I thought it was neat to see how in these cemeteries families could landscape their plots as they wished.



This was Grandma's grandmother.







And this marked the resting place of her own great grandfather. Aduard (Edward)

The old pioneer cemetery was nestled under the trees, far back in a quiet place, almost forgotten.







This is AWESOME.
Someone please put one of these over me when I'm buried.




Then we moved west along the Oregon Trail.

For a long time we never had any graves to decorate on Memorial Day.
Now we have four.





My dad.






And Grandma and Grandpa-
who sold their farm and moved thousands of miles away from the land of their raising to live here with us.





And we decorate one more:
The baby of dear friends who now live far away in Mexico and cannot visit this grave on Memorial Day.



For some reason, when I pick a bouquet in remembrance of this baby, I choose symbolic flowers.
I look for sweet, tiny blossoms for a sweet, tiny baby- bridal wreath spirea and forget-me-nots.
Lilac, a country home flower. Columbine, a mountain flower. Fun "Snowball bush". A twig of blueberry blossoms, and a sprig of lavender which was significant on her birthday.










Memories.
Decorations.

Both names are appropriate.

5 comments:

  1. I still vividly remember going to that cemetery the day that the Kinde house was sold. It's one of my last memories from Michigan childhood. I remember I was mad because Katie and I had to go and listen to all the boring old stories, but Neal got to leave with Dad. I also remember that there was some candy at the auction, and you told me I couldn't take any. But I did anyway. So it was in my pocket at the cemetery, beating like the telltale heart. I was soooo afraid you'd find out and I'd be in trouble. I couldn't wait to get out of there and get home to hide it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That explains the sour expressions you both have in every picture. I remember it was a REALLY hot day but you guys look ornery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had completely forgotten about that. But yeah, now I remember being ornery about it. Too bad... Wish I had those stories now.

    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, my shirt was awesome. Wish I had an up close detail shot of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought so too, but I thought you would hate it today!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.