Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Results-The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Unloading, in a strange way, can sometimes be sort of anti-climactic.

After weeks and weeks of hard work - it comes down to this. A few pots. Some good. A couple really good. Some bad. Some just "meh."


Beware my commentary. I am my own worst critic. But don't be afraid to tell me if you agree or not.







I was not unhappy to see my big baking dish. But I was more excited about it before it was fired. I guess it rates a "meh".





This teapot is kinda cute. I thought I would hate it but I don't.




I love how these green lines look against the Hamada Brown Black glaze.




I also love this glaze. I wish it would look this good on every piece. But my kiln has hot and cold spots. This was in a hot spot. Thus the nice finish.


All the dinnerware, bowls and cups, came out fine. An assortment of colors.








"Dahlia Bowl" One of the very best pieces to come out of the kiln.



Out of four bowls in this series, one of them got a stress crack on the rim.
Yes! I get to keep one!






So here's a little of "the good, the bad and the ugly."


Good. But...


...Bad.
It's doubtful that anyone will buy this though this flaw does not weaken the handle.
I guess I'll get to keep it after all!









Uhhmmm.....
The jury is out on these.
What do you think? Good? Bad? UGLY??
Maybe I shouldn't have done the green knobs?


Bad.
I haven't had a crack like this in years!
It doesn't go all the way through. The jar is still functional but not salable.



And drumroll.......



Mountain Wall Plate....








Again. Not sure. Not what I had in mind which is always a problem. My mind that is.
My biggest beef is that the sky is not blue!
That glaze didn't do what I told it to do!
Not sure what happened.
It looks like Mt. Hood though!






Bad. Here's a Mt. Hood plate that was in a cold spot so the glaze decided to get an ugly blistering disease called pin-holing.

For any potters checking in: Yes, I know about all the reasons pin-holing happens. I have read what the remedies are. I have tried them all. Here's an example of my frustration with this problem:


Lovely. I like it. I love how the glazes transitioned to each other. Nice effects.
This side of the vase was facing one of the burner ports.

Now turn the vase around.


Gahh! Come on. A cold spot on the other side of the vase?


This glaze did this consistently in this firing. I only used it on a clay body that I thought wouldn't have a problem with it. I am convinced it is something with the rutile. Rutile is the culprit isn't it? And I have a whole bucket of it now.


I'm sorry. I'm talking to myself. I didn't mean to bore you. I have issues. Glaze chemistry issues. Inferior kiln design issues. Lack of education issues.


So to cheer myself up, I will make a post with pictures that I really like of pots that I really like from this firing. That post will be on my studio blog Hearth and Home Studio. Please check it out and feel free to tell me what you think. Objective feedback is very helpful.

3 comments:

  1. Hey... who says skies have to be blue? There are lots of lovely non-blue skies out there. I kinda like that one... it looks... stormy. Conflicted. Dangerous.

    The dahlia bowl is gorgeous! Not sure about the canisters... I think they'd look better with a pale green, or black instead of red-brown.

    And you're not really sad about the flaw in the baking dish at all, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the teapot-- and I really like the set of canisters with their green knobs!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.