Sunday, April 5, 2009

Here Comes the Sun!

Today we had our second consecutive day of



SUNSHINE!!



On the first day, people cautiously emerged from their hovels, their caves, their damp, darkened homes.

Squinting in the light they tenatively began resuming activities they hadn't indulged in for months. Forgoing the coats, hats and rubber boots, people walked on the sidewalks without an umbrella. Bicyclists whizzed past and the drone of motorcycle engines could be heard on the air. Joggers, strollers and laughing children reminded all that life in the light had once again returned.





Cautiously, the blossoms even began to open, unsure whether tomorrow would bring another coating of cold snow.


But the weatherman reassures....tomorrow....another day of sunshine! Possibly even 70 degree temperatures!


With that news, the blooms in my yard popped their heads up and opened their faces to the sky!










I was amazed and pleased at the number of spring colors I found around my gardens.



This purple "Lenten Rose" hellebores is new. The flowers are stunning. I can't wait until the plant matures like my green variety has, which is currently trying to take over the dry shade bed under the Douglas Fir tree.





I set to work at the very pleasant and relaxing job of cleaning out the flower beds to make way for all the new growth.








In the front yard, I inspected my raised bed boxes. Last October, in this box, I had planted about two hundred garlic cloves.

Now there are exactly TEN plants.


I have a VARMINT.

A vole apparently gorged himself on garlic all winter.






This bed faired better. The varmint left about half the garlic I planted. But not enough for my needs. We eat a lot of garlic around here.




You can see by the texture of the soil how much it has been pounded by rain lately.




This is all the lettuce that survived the winter. The variety that clung to life is "Arctic King."






The few free-range hens that shun the coop have been very active in the sunshine also.

This one followed me around the yard, from bed to bed, all afternoon. (She didn't want me to show her face.)



She seemed to think we were about the same work of scratching the soil loose for bugs. She came behind me through every flower bed, inspecting my work and checking if I left anything good for her.

Too bad she doesn't eat VARMINTS!

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.